Beautiful cuts of short ribs bathed in herbal and salty brine for a tender and flavorful corned beef, what could be a better dinner in the middle of March. Dinner in four days, that is. This dish takes time but most wonderful things need time. Time for change, development, and blossoming. Then emerges a primed beef short rib with more depth and intense flavor than before.
The caramelized sweetness of a Bananas Foster and the classic sweet cream fluff fuse together in this Paleo and Vegan Bananas Foster pie. The exciting flambéed bananas, caramel, and rum combine with familiar cream pie layers for a delectable dessert based on the New Orleans classic. March snuck up on us, didn’t it? But cool things happen in March! March Madness, Mardi Gras, 3.14, Crossfit Open with double unders and snatches…there must be pie!
The base for any cream pie is a good cookie crust. Crumbly with a slight crunch, a cookie crust perfectly balances the creamy filling of a cool pie for a delectable dessert.
Since the common graham cracker crust is a far stretch from Paleo and Vegan, this recipe is developed with minimal ingredients for a similar crust. Coconut flour is a pain to hold together without using eggs, however saturated fats and sticky syrups are more than sufficient to make an amazing Paleo and Vegan graham cracker crust.
The crust is made by two key steps: first preparing the cookies, then smashing them in pie pan to form the crust. Although, the time to prepare it is not very time consuming. You may make the crust a day ahead of preparing your favorite pie filling.
- 1 cup of Coconut Flour
- ¾ cup of Shortening or Grassfed Butter
- ⅔ cup of Coconut Nectar or Raw Honey
- 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil or Grassfed Butter (softened solid)
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Add the coconut flour, shortening/butter, and nectar/honey in a food processor and whip until uniform.
- Drop large spoon fulls of dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 9-10 minutes.
- Let cool for at least thirty minutes.
- Pulse the cookies into crumbs using a food processor and combine with the coconut oil/butter and sugar, making a slightly pasty dough.
- Press into a pie pan.
- Bake at 375F for about 7-8 minutes.
- Let cool before filling with creamy pie fillings.
How can something with a simple list of ingredients and easy execution be so entrancing and delectable? Plump duck breasts pan-friend in its own fat and tossed with sauteed brussels sprouts and fennel. Then drizzled with fresh clementine juice. It’s just so mind blowing.
I miss you, so I made Tiramisu! Missing the eggs, lactose, and milk solids, you’ll fall in love with this Paleo tiramisu. Raw cashews are soaked in water and pureed with coconut cream and sweet syrup with a slight tang of lemon to make a Paleo “cheesecake.” Coconut flour lady finger cookies are saturated in espresso cognac rum sauce and layered with the dreamy Paleo cashew “cheesecake.” Coffee, booze, creamy things…what a perfect dessert! Bless Italian cuisine!