It’s the first day of the LuRong Living Paleo challenge! Time to eat squeaky Paleo clean and power through miserable WoDs. But, I’m excited for all the delish things I’ve got planned to share and today I’ve got something pretty for you! This fruity salad packs a subtle yet hot spicy kiss!
I would never have thought about spicing up a melon until I came across Jodie’s Fire Kissed Cantaloupe in her book The Everything Paleolithic Diet Book. It is a welcoming read for anyone wondering about the benefits of the Paleo lifestyle. Jodie and Gilaad explain the science behind Paleo and introduces chock full of creative and inspiring recipes fit for a wide variety of tastes.
I think I got really lucky and picked the most flavorful and sweetest cantaloupe in the market. I’m usually unlucky with melons. I don’t know the magical trick to seeking out that perfect one. I see people squeezing them or poking certain areas around the cantaloupe to judge its ripeness. Some juggled them lightly to test the weight similar to a bowling ball. I even saw someone pick up one up, pressed it against his nose and took a sniff. What are they feeling and sniffing for? I honestly have no clue how to judge a melon from playing with it. I’m just going to go with luck.
The combination of the spices and sweet fruit make a well balanced and exciting dish. True to its name, the hotness is just a little kiss and followed by the sweet and cool sensation from the melon, and balanced with a tart mango. I added just a little bit of jalapeño for a bite. Kiss and bite? Why hello! It really shouldn’t even be considered a side dish. Put the baby back rib in the corner and make this the star of your meal!
But, you know what’s awesome about this “Fire Kiss?” Sweet paprika! When I saw that as an ingredient, my interest piqued and I got excited. I have an admiration for people that use the good paprikas! What can I say, good paprika is a seductive spice! You can find Hungarian Paprika in Wholefoods or similar grocery stores, usually placed underneath the bottled spices, or order through my Amazon Store.
The cantaloupe and mango kissed with spicy flavors and bitten with jalapeño make a perfect dish for the tail end of the summer!
- 1 Cantaloupe Melon, cubed (about 3 cups worth)
- 3 Mangoes, cubed (about 2 cups worth)
- 1 small Red Onion, diced
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon of Macadamia Nut Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon of Sweet Hungarian Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 small Jalapeño Pepper, deseeded and diced
- Cilantro for garnish
- Combine the cantaloupe, mangoes, red onion, red bell pepper in a large bowl.
- Gently toss in the lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the macadamia nut oil, sweet paprika, and cayenne until blended.
- Pour the spice oil mixture over the fruit mixture and gently combine.
- Add a little jalapeño for an extra bite.
- Garnish with cilantro leave and enjoy!