So, I hear it’s December. Where did this year go? There is so much preparation for the holidays and I’m behind as usual. I have none of my “December duties” complete. No decorations are up. I didn’t even start shopping for presents. Well I shopped for me, but that doesn’t count. Thought I do love that winter is approaching and the chilly air freezes the inside of your lungs with every breath. Can I say how much I love LOVE the cold? I’m not being sarcastic in the slightest! I really do love the cold!
As we creep into December, more yummy and delicious sweet recipes come around. I’m excited to collaborate with some of my blogging buddies and bring you 12 Days of Christmas Paleo Recipes! If you’re following my shenanigans on Facebook, then maybe you already seen some of the deliciousness my blogging buddies have submitted. Today is my day! My contribution? Cold and creamy boozy egg nog ice cream!
The colder it gets the more I want ice cream. That’s right. Love ice cream in winter, and not at all during summer. I’m happily trotting around Porter Square sporting my heavy winter coat, fuzzy scarf, and iPhone finger gloves, while enjoying a rich and creamy ice cream cone. And, I know I’m not the only weird one that loves ice cream when it’s cold.
Another thing I’m excited for during the holidays are egg nog! Rich thick creamy egg nog! But way cold. The colder the better, I say! Nothing worse than egg nog that sat out on the counter for hours. . Did you know that the ingredients for this recipe are very similar to the egg nog drink? So, can the drink be considered as melted ice cream? Why not freeze and churn it? Egg nog as an ice cream is just pure holiday joy and sweet bliss!
- 1½ cups of Full Fat Coconut Milk or Heavy cream
- 1 cup of Almond Milk
- ½ cup of Coconut Sugar
- ½ teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3 Tablespoons of Bourbon (optional)
- Heat the coconut milk/cream, almond milk, coconut sugar, and spices on low heat until the edges are bubbly. Do not boil.
- Slowly add about ¼ cup of the warm cream into the egg yolks while mixing.
- Slowly, very slowly, pour the egg mixture into the rest of the warm cream while mixing.
- Increase the heat to about medium low and continue mixing until the temperature reaches 160F. About 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the bourbon and adjust spices.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until it reaches 40F. About 4 hours.
- Process the chilled ice cream according to your machine's directions :)
- Place the mixture in freezer friendly pan, preferably a steel pan.
- Chill the mixture for about an hour in the fridge.
- Mix and transfer to the freezer.
- Freeze and mix every 30 minutes until you can't stand it anymore.
- Face dive into the rich creamy goodness.
- Machine-less ice cream preparation method is adapted by David Lebovitz.
- Try your best not to add too much booze. I mean it! It won’t freeze properly if you have too much alcohol.